Do I Need an Alberta Out of Province Inspection?

Any vehicles that we purchased outside of the province must pass an out of province vehicle inspection in order to be issued provincial license plates. 

There are some exemptions where an inspection is not necessary. Your out of vehicle inspection is performed by a certified journeyman technician licensed by Alberta Transportation’s Vehicle Inspection Program (VIP).


The Alberta Out of Province Inspection Includes: 

  • An inspection of all vehicle components to test for mechanical fitness. 
  • Confirmation that the vehicle has been maintained within the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) standards or wear tolerances.
  • Examination of the structural integrity of the vehicle to establish whether or not the vehicle’s frame and/or body exhibit signs of major collision damage and/or repairs. Our mechanics will also examine the vehicle for corrosion in body or frame members. 


The OOP vehicle inspection may not be conclusive in determining previous crash history as the inspection technicians are certified automotive service technicians, not autobody collision repair technicians. If you suspect the vehicle has sustained major damage before you purchased it, you may wish to have the vehicle examined by a collision repair technician.


What Happens if my Vehicle Fails an Out of Province Inspection? 

According to Alberta Transportation Rules, vehicles that fail the initial inspection must be repaired within 10 days of the failure notice to avoid an additional full inspection fee assessment. Vehicles repaired and presented for re-inspection within 10 days will be subject to verification of required repairs only. 

Inspection certificates are valid for 14 days and vehicles must be registered in Alberta before the expiry date. Should the vehicle owner fail to register the vehicle within 14 days a full OOP Vehicle Inspection will be required again.